Contents

Saturday 16 November 2013

Greetings, my name is Lucy Pettit. Welcome to my blog page for the "Learning and Teaching in Practice" course, which is part of the Graduate Diploma in Tertiary Education (Otago Polytech).

I am a midwife and an educator. I have a passion for education, whether I am teaching students and midwives or guiding new mothers in baby cares; passing on and sharing knowledge keeps my own learning alive and active.
 
I am looking forward to this course and seeking new knowledge. Upon completion  I hope to have strengthened my teaching practice, added to my educators tool kit and have developed a better understanding of adult learning principals.

3 comments:

  1. Welcome Lucy - I shall look forward to reading your posts and I know that you will enjoy the course and working with Bronwyn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Lucy. Great to see you on here. I look forward to reading more. We now have two people from midwifery up and running. I would be interested to hear more about the specific subject area in which you teach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bronwyn,
    I suppose, in a nutshell, my specific subject areas are those of maternal emergencies and resuscitation.
    I teach management of maternal emergencies including maternal collapse, breech birth, PPH etc. on both the Regional Technical Skills Workshops and my Skills and Drills Workshop which is Midwifery Council approved. Skills and Drills is scenario based training and assessment, held in real time and on delivery suite. Indeed this workshop has been so popular that I was asked to hold it as a plenary session at the Rural G.P Anaesthetists Conference in July this year. It was scary but fun.... I'm not sure who learnt more the participants or me!
    I am also and Newborn Life Support (NLS) instructor (NZRC). I initially did this training to combat my own fear of neonatal resuscitation, but found I really enjoyed training and teaching these skills to others.
    I am currently in the planning stage for the development and introduction of the PROMPT course to our DHB. This multi-dis obstetric emergencies workshop is based on local policies and guidelines and so will be intensely relevant to our maternity service. I am very lucky in that I have a great team of practitioners keen to get on board with this programme, including an O&G and an anaesthetist.

    ReplyDelete